On 7th June 2017, Waterwatch Cooperative, the Social Equity Fund and the Representative of the European Commission in the Netherlands organised a workshop on “Investing in Space for AgriFood” at the premises of the European Commission office in The Hague (Europe House). This event was a side event in the framework of the European Development Days between 7th – 8th June 2017.
Investing in the emerging sector of earth observation services for the agricultural and food sector has an enormous potential for growth. Approximately 50 representatives and experts from the private sector, investment banks, data companies, Dutch and European governmental entities and other sectors came together and exchanges their views. In the second part of the meeting, a live video connection was established with the participants of the European Development Days in Brussels.
Speakers at the expert event included:
– Jan Hak (Founder, Hak & Partners)
– Nicolae Mitu, (DG GROW, European Commission)
– Ger Nieuwpoort (Director, Netherlands Space Office)
– Ad Bastiaansen (Chairman, Waterwatch Cooperative)
– Tony Fernandes (Chairman, Social Equity Fund)
– Jan-Willem Löhr (Head of Amsterdam Office, European Investment Bank)
– Mariska Lammers (Programme Manager, the Netherlands Platform for Inclusive Finance)
The conference was opened with an introduction from Harry Derksen, Director of Waterwatch Cooperative, who stressed the importance of bringing together the investors with the technology companies to create more synergies between them.
The participants agreed that coordinated action is needed to create these synergies between tech and investment companies. A joint strategy of these actors should be implemented quickly for the Dutch companies to continue leading this innovative sector.
For more information: Report on event “Investing in Space for Agrifood”